Janell's Blog

Monday, April 23, 2007

Don't Talk to Strangers!




On Friday we went to the mall for a safety class (protecting our brains-and eating right). My neighbor came with me and we had our hands very full: 6 kittys all together. The rule: every one should hold hands- lasted about 5 minutes and the boys were all running in opposite directions. We went to all the booths and collected papers that sadly went straight to the trash after we got home. The boys were able to touch a fake brain which was really quite gross. The brain booth illustrated how helpless and gooey our heads are with out the protection of a helmet. They sure did scare me into understanding the importance of a helmet. The boys also had the opportunity to grocery shop and see what healthy choices they would make. An evaluator would then unload their little carts and grade them on their choices. Samuel seemed to make all the right choices and Ethan (my sweet tooth baby) didn't do so bad either. As a reward for their effort the boys were given a Go Tart " A very healthy choice." hm mm. When it was the boys turn to talk to the police officer i gulped. I thought for sure they would say something bizarre or embarrassing. Yet haven't we all been there and done that. Kids say the darnedest things. Samuel asked the police officer for his autograph which in turn he responded with a tender and proud look on his face. The Police officer did ask Samuel to point out what type of car seat he uses. Samuel Smiled, looked at me and said, "i never sit in a car seat." I just thought oh boy i am going to get a scolding. As it turns out the police officer did a seat test with Samuel and determined he was ready to sit in a car with out a booster. I sighed with relief as he gave me the thumbs up. I thought there was a small chance Samuel still had to be in a booster. I have not used the booster since Vienna was born because the three car seats just did not fit.

I think we need to go over more safety issues. At another exhibit there was police officer asking kids what to do if a stranger approaches them in different situations and my boys failed that test big time. Ethan said he would help the old man find his doggy. Samuel said he would give someone directions if they were lost. Forget the Candy question - My boys both raised their hands. I thought to myself- have i failed as a mom? Is this what my kids would really do if a stranger approached? How many times have i had THAT conversation with them. I guess not enough.

After the exhibits i took my wedding rings to the jewelry store for repair. I was so excited. It has been at least 3 years since i have been able to wear them. They will be ready next Saturday and i can't wait to make that trip to the mall. All in all we had a great day. As we were leaving the mall Samuel got separated from me and i just freaked. I found him in ladies wear. He forked around the cosmetic counter and headed the wrong way. He looked at me with such relief when i found him. I could hear fear in his little voice as he called out mommy mommy. This happened in a matter of seconds. I think i will have to get a stroller that seats three to avoid any of us separating.

On a different note Vienna decided to empty her bowels during the officers speech and boy was it noisy. She hadn't gone in a few days and her outfit displayed the evidence thoroughly. The day was fun but very tiring. We headed home with miniature flashlights-band aid holders-brain erasers- edible goldfish and Polaroid pictures we took with safety bear.

Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We headed home with miniature flashlights-band aid holders-brain erasers- edible goldfish and Polaroid pictures we took with safety bear."

Now thats something you don't read every day! Sounds like alot of fun.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 at 8:09:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Blog Counter