Janell's Blog

Monday, April 03, 2006

Flying a Kite

Today was a blustery day. A day right out of the pages of a “Winnie the Pooh Bear” book. The boys and I decided to try and fly our new kite today. The day was perfect, but the kite wasn't. The first time we managed to get the kite in the air it hit the neighbors house and ended up with a damaged wing. The look on the boys faces said it all. Mom if you don't get this kite in the air we will not be able to survive another day. Determined, I found a straight stick and taped the stick to the broken wing with electrical tape. I felt overjoyed as Samuel held onto one end of the kite and the wind started to lift it gracefully in the air. The gracefulness of the kite was short lived when it came crashing down. Sam had just come outside to join in the fun when he noticed the kite had flown it’s brief shining moment leaning completely on the right side. I thought, well lets put some more weight to make it even on the other side. Another stick and some tape and we were off and flying for about 3 seconds. The kite came nosing down in complete distress. I was going to fly this THING or else! The boys and I managed to find another stick of almost equal weight and attached it to the rear. I guess the stick in the rear was too heavy or maybe the whole thing was too heavy. We placed the kite to rest in the back yard and went in for a much needed lunch break. Looking through our window I was amused to see that the little fellow wanted to give it another go. I ran out with the boys and as the kite was preparing for take off ETHAN ran it over with his bike. So just as my hope had begun to diminish I spotted Samuel's tent in the garage and borrowed the poles and tried to start over. I strapped them on perfectly and we were off and running again. But this time it wasn't our fault the wind had now fully gone and came in short bursts. Maybe tomorrow we'll try again to fly our 6 foot kite we have dubbed “The Thing.” Maybe tomorrow I will have enough sense to wear gloves so I don't rip my hands to shreds with the nylon. Kite flying is no walk in the park. After what I experienced today it can get dangerous especially with all that nylon wanting to take on a life of it's own.
I would have displayed a picture of our kite, but I felt it would be to painful for the human eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Blog Counter